Tuesday, April 3, 2012

"John Carter"



This past Friday night, I had a few hours to kill, so I decided to go to the theater to catch a movie. There really wasn't much to choose from. I really want to see The Hunger Games, but I'm still reading the book and I didn't want to spoil it, so that one was out. So, the only real choice that I had was John Carter. Besides, I have been wanting to see more Disney movies so I can begin posting movie reviews on this blog.

I had heard that this movie completely sucked. It didn't do too well at the box office and is seen by the critics as a huge flop for Disney. All of my friends that had seen it said that it just wasn't good. But I wanted to see it anyway. I really don't know why. I guess my loyalty to Disney could have played a factor. Maybe I just wanted to see a train wreck. Nonetheless, I went in with very low expectations. Amazing how great a movie can be when you think it's going to suck.

I honestly liked John Carter. I'll admit, it was a little weird and hard to follow at first, but after the story began to tie together, it started to make sense and the film turns out to have a really good story (Granted, I am a Trekkie, so I can handle weird story lines). One of the biggest problems that I found with this film is that there is just so much crammed into it. They flip back and forth between different settings, the dialogue is a little ridiculous, and there is a lot going on on the screen. So, it's very hard to follow. But, that's not necessarily a bad thing, if you can keep up and pay close attention.

Because of that, I would say that is is a "Go See" film, but not a "Must See". It's a good movie, it's fairly family friendly movie, with lots of action, drama, and bits of humor that leave you satisfied when you leave the theater, though you may leave it worn out form information overload. This film certainly won't become one of Disney's classic films, but I could totally see it gaining a cult classic status. So, go see it and judge for yourself!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I figure this will be one that I'll just buy when it comes out.

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review!