Saturday, January 7, 2012

Marathon Weekend 2012 - Day 3: A "Half" Day

Today was a special day. Not necessarily for Teresa and myself, but for everyone participating in the Half Marathon. I had De'Dee, my 70 year old grandmother and my grandfather all walk and FINISH the race!

As some of you may know, grandma attempted the half back in 2010 but was swept at the 11 mile mark. She was so upset that she didn't get a medal. But she was bound and determined to get it this time, and she did it! She has inspired me to commit to running at least the full next year and she has inspired Teresa to run in next year's half (she said it on Facebook, so it's now official).

As for our day, Teresa and I began over at Animal Kingdom. This has never been my favorite park, but I have to say that it has a lot of great things to photograph. We rode Expedition: Everest at least four times, but that was pretty much all we road. We mainly just walked around the park and took in all of the natural beauty that the park has to offer.

For lunch, we stopped by Pizzafari for lunch and split a kid's meal. I have to say that we've been damn good for food this trip and one of the things that we have learned is that you can totally share a kids meal. It comes with a smaller version of what ever you order, but also, a cookie and a bag of grapes and a small coke (which can be refilled) is included. We found that this is just enough food for us and even if you didn't share, $5.50 for all that you get is a damn fine deal.

After Animal Kingdom, we went back to the resort to visit with De'Dee, grandma and grandpa and congratulate them. We intended on going out for a celebratory lunch, but we just ended up hanging out at the resort for a while.

After recharging for a boy, we headed to Epcot and again, we really didn't do much. We saw Spaceship Earth, Figment and Captain EO... Mostly because I HAD to take Teresa onto Captain EO just to show her just how ridiculous the attraction really is. It's so bad that even the Cast Members are making fun of it. Disney... It's past time to put EO back on the shelf.

After EO, we just sort of wandered around Future World, taking nighttime photos of the pavilions. I've always wanted to do that and now I have a decent camera, so I took advantage of it.

Then we went over to World Showcase and met up with Jeff, Lisa, and Trace. There we rode the Maelstrom together, then found a spot to view IllumiNations. Then we parted ways. It was SO good to see them again. Good people.

At this point, Teresa and I decided to walk around the World Showcase Promenade and take some pictures of the different national pavilions. Got some great shots.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hey, was that Matt? Matt, Matt, Matt - oh, hi :)!

It was good to see you too!