Hey guys! It appears that I'm finally back on the horse today, and not a moment too soon! I had intended for my rebound to happen last week, but due to weather and illness (every time I say I'm going to start back running, I get sick... have you noticed that trend?), I had to wait until this week.
My run today went well, though it was cut short. I was only able to complete 2 1/2 miles in 42:16, which I don't think is bad all things considered. I couldn't go farther because my heel felt like it was on fire! That leads me to my question. What could be causing the burning? I bought new "Drymax" socks, I bought a new pair of shoes (which feel great normally), I'm putting Vaseline on my feet. What's doing it? The only thing that I can think of is that my shoes need to be broken in or my heel just needs to adjust. What do you guys think? Can you think of anything else I can do to address this?
Ok, now for my rant... Do you guys have problems with bikers in the areas that you run/walk in? I'm not talking about the decent human beings that are biking for legit reasons (i.e. Rae). I'm talking about those little hell on wheels biker gangs of 3 or 4 12 year olds. Those "little biker bastards" as I call them, are a menace to society! It's almost like the scope out people with iPods, sneak up on them then zoom past the victim, scaring the bejesus out of them! Then, right when you think it's over, another one zooms past you on the other side, scaring you all over again. That's when the remaining ones come zooming past you. It's really quite annoying. If you're lucky they won't run you over. I've seen that happen to other runners and have a few near misses before.
They're not even supposed to be on the running trail. It would be like me taking my car out for a joyride on the trail and knocking a few of them over! I wouldn't have a problem with them if they would just be considerate of other people and weren't so rude. Where the hell are the parents?! UGH! Ok... I'm going to stop now. See you all soon!
3 comments:
Well, if you're shoes are brand new you really should walk around the house in them for a couple of weeks as I understand it. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing all the right things...perhaps just your body rebelling for the time off? I know mine does that when I'm out of practice!
As for the kids...well, I'd have to see what happened to comment. However, there are parents out there that let their kids run amock with no direction whatsoever...having said that...even a good parent telling their kid to do the right things and watching them like a hawk sometimes goes awry....happens to the best of us, so it's best to just write it off and hope it doesn't happen again.... I tell ya, you're perspecive on this stuff changes when you have kids...it's crazy....
Back when I worked in the field I loved driving my bucket truck on the scenic jogging trails. It was great fun during the lunch hour, plus it was fun to watch all those little kids run when I laid on the air horn. The truck also came in handy late in the fall when it was time to pick oranges from the trees.
OK I'm just kidding.(about the oranges that is)
Are you new socks thicker than you usually wear? Different style/make of shoe?
What kind of shoes are you wearing?
I run a lot on the Wabash Trace, a rural bike trail. There are tons of bikers out there. The nice thing is that most of the people who go out there are serious bikers. Its far enough away from civilization that it's not really accessible to kids.
It's rare that I encounter a rude biker. Most ring their bell or say "passing on the left" before they zoom by. A few startle me, but it's not bad. Even the pot smoking college students I encountered last week were courteous--maybe just really mellow.
My advice, run with pellet gun or taser. That's legal in the south isn't it?
Post a Comment