Monday, September 1, 2008

All Clear!

Hey guys. It looks like the worst of the storm is past us. There is still some high wind gusts and some rain, and we're under a tornado watch, but I think it's pretty much over. Hopefully anyway. Brookhaven had some flooding, and lots of down trees and powerlines. I think power has been restored at my house. No damage yet, thank God.

As far as ranting, I don't have anything on the Local, State, or Federal. All three levels have done a superb job in preparing for the storm. They definately learned alot since Katrina. It also helps that Louisiana got rid of that idiot they had last time and got somebody that knows what they are doing.

However, I just couldn't let Mike down, so I had to find something to rant about. This time I'm going after my school. Instead of telling us last week or yesterday or even this morning, They decide to wait until around 4:00 to tell everyone that classes are still on for tomorrow. Keep in mind that the storm is still out there. I had to drive nearly 70 miles in the freakin' storm, dodging down trees, powerlines, abandoned refuge cars and other debris just so I could get up to Clinton before nightfall. The whole time, MPB (Mississippi Public Broadcasting) is telling people to stay clear of the roads, that it's not safe to be driving in the storm. They are saying that MDOT and MS Hwy. Patrol are asking people to stay clear of Interstate 55 (the only way I know how to get to Clinton) so National Gaurd, FEMA, and other emegency vehicles can move around quickly. And here I am all up in it! What else could I do? I got caught up in a National Gaurd Convoy, haha!

I'm not upset with the school because they choose to have classes tomorrow. Far from it! At the price I pay them to teach me, I want my money's worth. It's just the fact that they choose to tell everybody so late in the afternoon. Even if they had said that they were unsure, they could have at least said something!

Government Response = A+
Mississippi College's Response = F

See you guys later!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Whew! Close one! Was thinking about you while watching the news over the past couple of days. Glad to hear that the prep was much better this time. Sometimes it takes a total mess-up for people to get it right moving forward!

DebWDW said...

Glad you made it! And that's so funny that you were in a convoy!