Thursday, August 14, 2008

Evil High School Dictatorship Srikes Again

See below for an explanation of the Cartoon "Der Fuehrer's Face"

Ok... We're all Disney fans here right? Ok then, read this story:

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/08/great-bridge-band-can-play-disney-not-rides

If I was in this band, I would tell the school administration to kiss my ass!!! Here's my reasons...

First of all, how can you ask high school aged kids to go to Disney World and not let them ride the rides? That is absolutely absurd! That's like telling a kid, "Ok, I'll take you to Dairy Queen, but you can't get any ice cream." What's the point?

Second, These kids deserve a reward. Band kids bust their rumps all during the summer, all through football season, all through parade season, and all through the fall and spring concert seasons (and yes they overlap) just to bring glory to the school. So if they want to go to WDW, then by God let them! Hell, I think they deserve a few beers while they're at it! Rae, can I get an Amen?

And Finally, We all know that that school is NOT paying for the trip. The parents and the students are. So, until the school coughs up the dough they have no place telling the kids what they can and cannot do on THEIR trip that THEY earned and that THEY paid for!

Of course, this is just my humble opinion. What do you think?
________________________________________
Sorry for the language tonight, I just got riled up. This story reminded me of my HS "reward" trip.


My senior year, our band director decided that he was going to take us on a trip. We had two choices that we could vote on, Disney World or Memphis.


The Disney trip would have consisted of marching down Main Street (my ULTIMATE dream) and a concert in the MK. The rest of the time would have been spent doing as we wanted. NO extra rehersals.


The Memphis trip would have consisted of performing during the half time show of the Liberty Bowl with Little Richard, marching in the Liberty Bowl parade down Beale St., a field competition, and 3 extra rehersals. For fun we would go to the Liberty Bowl rodeo (Rednecks of the World, UNITE!), tour Graceland, and eat at Hard Rock.


With the work/play ratio, needless to say, the band voted unanimously to go to Disney. Everyone was so excited and fundraising started immediately.


3 weeks later, the director cancels the Disney trip. No explanation was given. Just the Disney trip has been canceled.


Less than a week later, Der Führer (as we later and continue to call him) tells us that HE has decided for US that we WILL go to the Liberty Bowl, that it is a performance and we WILL go. All we could do is say "Ja Wohl, Mein Führer!"


So, we went and it SUCKED!!! The rodeo (as they all do) sucked, the half time performance was with like 30 other bands, we sucked at the competion, the parade was only down a block, and we had to sit through a 6 hour long football game (which is just a glorfied game of keep away - sorry). I had my dream crushed for a football game! To this day, I loathe the sport.


The band was so pissed at der Führer that they revolted and deposed him. He left the next year.


So there you have it. The reason why Disney band performances are such a sensitive issue for me. And if I had a rotten tomato, I would throw it into Der Fuehrer's Face!
________________________________________

Since I used some references that some may not get, I thought I would explain myself:


"Der Fuehrer's Face" is an Anti-Nazi propagnda film created by Walt Disney during WWII. It stars Donald Duck dreaming that he lives in a land ruled by nazis.


Here is link for more information and some interesting facts:
http://www.answers.com/topic/der-fuehrer-s-face


And here is the cartoon itself:
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/Der%2BFace/video/xvdyu_donald-duck-der-fuehrers-face_fun

If you watch the video, be sure to watch the entire thing and listen to the words of the song. Otherwise, all you will see is Donald as a Nazi and I don't want any of you offended.

8 comments:

DebWDW said...

Both stories are crazy!!! And your rant is fabulously written and intelligent! At least now, instead of marching down Main Street, you can run down Main Street. Hopefully that will be almost as good!

Chris said...

Okay, but lets not take it out on the innocent!!! FOOTBALL!!! ;-) Nah, that's cool that you're not into it, it's just not for everyone I suppose...but I can't get enough of it for some reason.

Anyhoo, that does suck with a capital S! I'm guessing your "leader" had a bet on the game or something. Decided to let you "choose", but when the result was less than desireable...he took over yeilding his band leader powers!!!

I agree wiht Deb, running down Main Street seems much cooler than marching, not to mention you can spray the crowd with gatorade! :-)

MikeF. said...

Matt all I can say is that I love it when you rant. You need to get P.O. a lot more.:)

Jeff W said...

Ok that story is just a smack in the face to those kids. How Stuuuuuuuuuupid. No point in traveling down in my humble opinion. Can you imagine taking the time to do the fund raising for what could be a once in a lifetime trip to "The World" and then having some Scoorge say "glad you all showed such great school spirit out there, now lets go home."

Need a chaperone? Hell I'd be a chaperone. Can't imagine a shortage there.

Funny how Disney seems to handle these large crowds everyday without major issues.

This is most likely the end result of some student in "that" schools history that either had an accident or more likely misbehave at a past event.

I just love how one person can ruin everyone elses fun.

Great post.

And speking of der Führer. If you have not seen the Disney Treasures "On the Front Lines" DVD you must get your hands on a copy. It may be hard to find now but that DVD is a wonderful time capsule of the studios history during a time of war.

sambycat said...

hey, what can i say, we run a tight ship here in the commonwealth

Craig Wheeler said...

I like how they said that there were "incidents" in the past where "students" were injured on park rides. Multiple incidents with multiple students??? Sounds like bad luck...or a bad excuse.

Amusement park rides are ridiculously safe considering how many rides they perform each day. The average person is much more likely to get in a car accident than be injured on a ride.

I find their statement hard to believe.

Craig Wheeler said...

And...

How many kids get injured each year playing football? Maybe they should considering cancelling the next season.

Rae! said...

Amen!!!!!!

I have marched on Main Street twice. Once in Jr high, and in high school. We we never told we couldn't ride the rides.We were told no behind the scenes photos!!!