Friday, March 30, 2012

The "Avengorail"



There have been rumors circulating for the last month or so about Disney bringing an "Avengers" style wrap (similar to what they did with Tron) to one of the monorails of WDW. To my utter dismay, the Disney Parks Blog has confirmed this today. I have so many problems with this...

First off, you all know how I feel about non-Disney franchises being brought into the parks. I have this same problem with Pixar and even Lucasfilm. I know that Marvel is now part of the Disney company, but still... it's NOT Disney. I don't see Mickey and Minnie in any of the Marvel comic books, so why put them here? Hell... They're not even saying that Disney is distributing this film. If you watch the trailer, it says that Paramount is.

Second, they are putting this monorail on the Magic Kingdom monorail loop. Really??? Nothing says "The Magic Kingdom" like the Avengers. I could possibly forgive this if it was on the Epcot loop. That's what they did with the Tron monorail and it worked. I don't know why, but I just have a problem with this monorail making the loop around the deluxe resorts of the Magic Kingdom. What's next? The Hulk throwing around cars on Main Street? Spiderman wrapping Cinderella Castle in a web? It's bad enough that they have Marvel merchandise in the Pirates of the Caribbean gift shop, but now this? Enough is enough!

I understand what Disney is trying to do. They have a new franchise and they are trying to exploit it as much as possible. Putting this monorail on the Magic Kingdom loop may actually encourage boys to actually want to go there, which is a problem that Disney has faced forever. But, as a purist, I hate to see things change and take away from the original experience. I don't have a problem with things that add to it, but I feel that this takes away from it.

Even though Disney is notorious for keeping "temporary" things around for decades, we know that this will not last for very long. It'll last through the summer or possibly through the end of the year. Then it can go the way of the "Cake Castle", the "Wand", and other past hideousness of Imagineering flops. If only we could get rid of that damn Hat. Oh.. and stop "Dances with Smurfs Land".

That is all.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Yeah, I'm not so thrilled with this either. At least Tron was a true Disney franchise.

I agree that I would have less problem with it if is was on the Epcot loop.