Saturday, July 17, 2010

Race Report - Watermelon Classic 5K

Where: Jackson, MS
When: July 3, 2010
Length: 3.1 miles
Running Buddy: Aunt De'Dee and Ashley
Time: 42:34
Level of Preparedness: Fair
The Watermelon Classic 5K is sponsored by the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and has been a Fourth of July tradition in Central Mississippi for years. When I first heard about this race on the news back when I was a kid, I remember wondering out loud "Why are those people running?" My dad answered "They're running for fun." to which I replied "For FUN?! They crazy!". Yes, I was a couch potato even at that age. Little did I realized that I'd be running that very race 20 some odd years later.
When I was staying with Aunt De'Dee the weekend of the Renaissance Half, she brought up the notion of running the Watermelon Classic. She thought it would be a good way to jump start our training after the Renaissance (Yes, we don't train until after races.... That's how we roll.) I said sure, why not. But after our dreadful performance at the Renaissance, I wrote it off since we had both more or less swore that we'd never do another summer race again.
Then, about a week before the Watermelon, De'Dee sends me a text saying that she signed me up for the race. I was like "What the hell! I'm not ready for this!" So, I hit the pavement in a last ditch effort to train. I had about a week, so I figured I could be somewhat prepared.
Race Day: Get up around 5:30 so we could be at the Sports Hall of Fame at 7 (De'Dee lives a good 45 minute drive from where we needed to be). It's a nice morning, not too hot but it is very muggy. We get there and there are already a ton of people there. I never got an estimate, but There had to be at least a thousand people there. This race really is a big deal. Apparently it's the biggest running event in the state.
Anyway, we get there and meet my cousin Ryan and his girlfriend Ashley, who is running the race with us. We sit and talk and cut up for a little while. We even came up for a new segment for the blog (People at the Race - Think the runners version of "People of Walmart"). I mean, seriously people, What the hell were you thinking when you put on those short, skin tight running shorts? Seriously... I REALLY didn't need to see ANY of that! Thanks but no thanks...
After we were scarred for life, we walked over to the finish line. It was a good mile walk to the start, which never makes sense to me... I guess that's the warm up. Anyway, The race starts and we're off. The first leg of the race was on the frontage road next to the Interstate. The cars there saw us and almost every car honked their horn. I guess I'm easily amused, but I found that kind of cool.
De'Dee, Ashley and I were together for about the first mile, but eventually Aunt De'Dee took off and left us and it was just Ashley and I. We stayed together, mentally pulling each other along. We began a system where we would start running anytime the ground was flat or downhill for as long as we could then walk the rest. That seemed to work, but neither of us were as prepared as we thought we were. But it was all good. We both finished and crossed the finish line together, with De'Dee waiting for us. Ashley got me through this race and I hope she's with us for many more!
Overall, this isn't a bad race. Terrible time of year, but most of the route is in a wooded park area so it's pretty well shaded. Only thing is the hills. For some reason, Jackson (especially Downtown and Lakeland Drive) is very hilly. So, hills were to be expected, but still, hills aren't fun when you aren't prepared for them. The end of the race festivities went over pretty smoothly. Plenty of food and drink, and watermelon of course. Only thing I have to say something about is "tag removal". I think this race is probably the only race left that still uses a "ChampionChip" type system. I really wish they would switch to D-Tags. That is so much easier and you don't have to wait in line while two old ladies attempt to cut off your chip. I waited in that line for probably a good 5 minutes and another 2 while she tried to cut the damn thing off.
But other than that, things went very well. Though I'm not big on 5K races, if I just need some sort of event, I know that this race is a good one to do and I would definitely do it again.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I like how your family is so close with the training/racing (and even Disney) thing. :-)

Prior to running myself, when people asked if I ran i responded "only when chased"...so yeah, I hear ya on that one. Never thought I'd have numerous half's and a full marathon under my belt.

Amanda said...

Even 4 years ago I would have said "THEY CRAZY!" Heck, I didn't even know about races and all the distances. If someone would have asked how far a 5K is I would have said 5K :)...Look at us now!

Sounds like a fun event. Glad you did it. I love 5k's - it's a great way to start off a weekend day and you still have lots of time left after to rest and relax!

I agree on you with the old timing chips - D Tags are much more convenient!