Ok, maybe that was a little over the top, but I'm fed up. Let it be known that I am 100 percent against the return of Captain EO to the Disney Parks. I know, I know, I'm stepping on some toes here but so be it! I'm as mad as hell!
I'm against it for a number of reasons. I'm going to be rambling a bit, so bear with me.
First of all, I feel like this is Disney simply trying to capitalize on MJ's death. Sure, that's what corporations do. I get it. But still, I find the fact that Disney would have never entertained the idea of Captain EO's return had it not been for MJ's sudden death just a little morbid. But sure, I'll give Disney a little leeway here as they are simply doing what a corporation does and "moonwalking straight to the bank".
My second grievance is the fact that the show is so damn cheesy! Ok, sure, I've only seen the show via YouTube... but that's all I needed! What really pisses me off? They took out one of my favorite attractions (Honey I Shrunk the Audience) and replaced it with something that should have died (and did) years ago! Let's face it, Captain EO was taken out for a reason. It was old, hokey, and really had no place in the "new" Epcot. Yes it was time for Honey I Shrunk the Audience to go, but seriously? Let's move forward, not backward!
And, I know that 1993 and 2005 are eons in the entertainment world, but the man was an accused child molester. Sure he was acquitted of the charges, but the fact remains. I could go on here, but that is beside the point. Yes, MJ was an excellent entertainer and was very talented, but he still had those charges. Let's say that Disney brought back an old attraction that starred OJ Simpson. There would be outrage, as there should be. OJ was a very talented football player and he was acquitted of his charges too. But his name can't be spoken without thoughts of his crimes. So why? Why does MJ get a free pass and not OJ? I don't know... I just feel like we're glorifying someone who maybe shouldn't be. Maybe I'm wrong for even bringing that point up, but there it is.
Again, I just feel like Disney has gone about this all wrong. Disney says that the show is only temporary. Well, if this is only temporary, while imagineering thinks up something else to replace it, then great. I'm all for it. Moral objections aside, Captain EO will bring people in and that's what Disney is in business to do. However, let us recall what "temporary" means to Disney:
- Mickey's Toontown Fair was only supposed to be a temporary land for Mickey's Birthday Celebration in 1988. It's been temporary ever since.
- The dreadful Wand over Spaceship Earth was built as a temporary decoration in 1999 for the Millennium Celebration. It wasn't taken down until 2007.
- Camp Minnie-Mickey was supposedly a temporary land for Animal Kingdom while Imagineering came up with something better. The land opened with the park in 1998 and yet it still remains.
I could go on, but you get my point. I have a feeling that Captain EO will be with Epcot and Disneyland for a lot longer than the implied "temporary" label Disney has given us. If this happens, Disney is cheating their guests. They've replaced an aged attraction with an even older, cheaper alternative and that just isn't right to us fans.
I could be over-reacting. I tend to do that a lot, but I get so mad when an opportunity like this is squandered. They had the perfect opportunity to give us an awesome new 3D attraction and they screwed it up. It PISSES me off!!! But, if I'm wrong, and I hope I am, I'll retract this post and apologize to Disney. Hell, if they out do themselves, I'll even give them a kudos... and those are hard to get from me!
Ok, my blood pressure is too high. I must stop. What do you guys think? Are you happy to see Captain EO return? Or are you as pissed off as I am? Maybe you don't care.
4 comments:
Sooo, you're right, and I'm the furthest thing from an MJ fan...never have been and never will be.
The thing is that they are indeed trying to generate some revenue wherever they can these days. Economy is not turning around anytime soon (contrary to what some people are feeding us). Probably another reason why the temporary things remain....I'm sure the imagineers have great ideas, but will the captial investment translate to revenue....guessing not. Actually surprised they are getting rid of toontown..they must have something that will draw big numbers!
Ahhh a Matt rant. All is now right with the world. Could not care less for M.J. or even the show. Never saw it never cared to say it. I truly hope that they bring in something amazing, but with Iger in charge it is going to be some cheap run of the mill attraction. Just like he has done with the rest of the parks.
I agree with both of you. Yes, Iger has kept Disney afloat during the recession, but at what cost? Disney's "imaginativeness" has suffered greatly. We need a mix of Iger and Eisner at the helm.
Not an MJ fan - don't get me wrong, I liked him just fine in 1984. That doesn't mean I have to still like him. A fabulous talent, great entertainer and all aside, I'm with you. MJ became freakier and freakier as the years went by and his actions were not those of a normal person. I don't think Disney should capitalize on his death either.
While I remember watching Captain EO and thoroughly enjoying it as a kid - I have no desire to revisit that show.
I liked Honey, I Shrunk the Audience too. While I do think it's outdated and not relevant today I would have rather kept this show in place.
Like you I hope we get something spectacular to replace both of these shows :)!
Post a Comment