Ok... This particular rant has been building up inside of me for a couple of years now. It's concerning Disney's Vacation Planning DVD. I got 2010's edition today and just finished watching it. As you probably have guessed by now, I wasn't happy!
Ordering and watching the DVD has been a tradition of mine ever since the early 90s. I remember having a fake name and age just so I could order it (I was a real rebel...). It was a way for me to have a dose of the Disney Magic whenever I wanted (this was long before I even knew a "Disney Community" even existed). I'd just pop in the cassette or DVD and I'd get "that feeling".
For the most part they were different from year to year, changing with that year's particular promotion or celebration. The best version was for the Happiest Celebration on Earth back in 2005. It was sort of like a better, less annoying, souped up version of "The Top Seven Must Sees" on Resort TV. It was just really cool and very entertaining. I still watch this version as often as I can and really enjoy it.
But that all changed in 2006 with the "Year of a Million Dreams". The 2006 edition wasn't bad. It was alot like previous editions, showing the same old stock footage of different attractions, "interviews" with guests and cast members. But it was a big let down after the 2005 edition.
The real issue comes in 2008, when the Year of a Million Dreams was extended. This edition was identical to the 2006 edition. Nothing was changed what so ever. Not even a mention of the "last year" or anything. Then in 2009, "What Will You Celebrate" comes along. They did add some things, mostly Mickey balloons and a section on the promotion, along with updating the attractions, but it was still basically the same as the 2006 edition.
So, a few weeks ago, I see that the 2010 edition is out. I was really excited. I was thinking that since the whole "Free on your Birthday" thing was being phased out and this new volunteering thing was coming in that SURELY the DVD would be different. So I ordered it thinking that it would be really fun to sit down with the family and watch it just before we go on our trip. It arrived today. I was SO excited! I put in my computer and watched it. IT WAS THE SAME DAMN THING!!!!!!! Yeah, they changed the intro to incorporate the volunteer promotion and mentioned the new Hall of Presidents, BUT THAT WAS IT! Same stupid Castle in the sky, same stupid annoying people dancing at the end, same stupid annoying kids and stupid annoying people in the beginning, same stupid annoying graphics, SAME STUPID ANNOYING EVERYTHING!!! WHAT THE HELL!!!
I feel like I have 4 of the same movies lying around collecting dust... I feel cheated... Does anyone else feel this way? Am I making too much of a big deal out of this? I'm sure I am, I'm easily worked up over stupid annoying things all the time, but this one REALLY got to me. Let me know your feelings on this. Maybe we could get a mini, virtual Rantfest going on here!
Oh, and FYI, I did finish my 6 miles and feel fine now. Going to attempt another 6 tomorrow morning.
4 comments:
Well of course you drew my attention with the title "Time for a Rant". I have to say considering the dvd is free you might be over reacting just a little. But I have to say I totally agree with you about the
'05 dvd. I loved that one(Watch it all the time). I never really liked the new format. So I just stick to old reliable. I have not ordered a new dvd since they went to this new format.
I agree that they don't put much effort in to the new videos any more. I used to get so excited when a new video was available to order and then when they arrived - it was the first thing I would do. Pop it in and watch it, sometimes a couple of times in a row to catch everything.
I have to say I've stopped ordering them religiously. I don't really like the new format and they just aren't as captivating as they once were.
Great job on the 6 miler!!!
Congrats on the 6 miles! Wish I could get outside. The treadmill is annoying.
Ummmm ... isn't the DVD free? I don't think rants are allowed for free stuff!
P.S. I listen to a podcast called Smart Mouths. You might like it, political, rants and social commentary.
This is true. Say what you will about the quality of the video, you can't be the price! Having said that, I would almost be willing to pay for the good versions to come back. I guess I'm just bitter that my tradition has be ruined by poor marketing. C'est la vie...
Deb- I will for sure check out that podcast. The title itself embodies my personalit perfectly!
Post a Comment