Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The White House and the Old Executive Office Building

Hi guys! From this post on until a future Yorktown post, are all pictures from just one day in D.C. I thought that I could just do a few, but we did SO much that there is no way I can do it. So, I've decided to break them down into individual posts. They are all in order as we did them. We did a TON of walking! Thank God I've been training. Otherwise I may not have made it.

We started our day by catching the Metro (D.C.'s subway system) from Alexandria to McPherson Square which is just a couple of blocks from the White House.
The North Portico - I always called this the Front Porch

The South Portico - The Back Yard

There was something going on the day we were there but I never found out what it was. It was more than just a Press Conference because they are either in the Briefing Room, the East Room, or the Rose Garden (I've been in all three!). Usually, They don't have them out here unless something big is going on, like a State visit or something.

This is the Old Executive Office Building. It used to house the State, War, and Navy Departments. It was almost demolished in 1957. Now it houses the Vice President's Office, National Security Council, the Office of Management and Budget and a few other Exectuive Branch offices. I would love to get inside there (nerd alert!)

I forgot I had this picture. Pretty cool if you ignore all of the scaffolding.

5 comments:

Jeff W said...

Wow! I have missed a lot over here. Looks like a fantastic trip.
My Daughter is traveling to DC next Spring Break.

Been running?

Matt said...

I've been wogging. That's about as close to running that I can get with out my heart exploding. But hey, I used to couldn't even walk a mile, much less wog one!

If your daughter is nerdy, she'll have a blast! If she's not, she'll still have fun!

DebWDW said...

Matt, your pictures are fabulous!! Nice work. I love Washington DC and all the historic buildings.

MikeF. said...

Spent a couple of days in D.C. a few years ago. I am thinking of taking the Fam. down there when my DD is a little older.

Chris said...

Never been...not sure how this spot has eluded me...When the kids get a little older it'll be a destination for sure. :-)