Monday, June 9, 2008

Colonial Williamsburg

This was one of my favorite stops on our trip. I have always been fascinated with colonial history (go ahead call me a nerd). Most of the buildings in Colonial Williamsburg have been reconstructed, but they are all on their original sites and are all built and look the way they would have in the 18th century.
The Capitol

A cool detail that I just happened to notice

The Govenor's Council Chamber

The House of Burgesses Chamber - That is the original Speaker's Chair

The Town Courthouse

Inside the Courthouse


Josiah Chowning Tavern - This is where we ate lunch

The Printing and Post Office

Bruton Parish Church - One of the Oldest Episcopal Churches in the U.S. - It has been a working church since 1715

This Bible was given to the Church by Edward VII

The Governor's Palace - It served 7 Colonial Governors and 2 State Governors

A Map of the 13 Original Colonies - I didn't know I lived in Georgia

The Palace Foyer

The Palace Ballroom with George III in the Background


Ok, I'll have to admit defeat here. Disney's Liberty Square has nothing (except the "magic") on Colonial Williamsburg. Everything from the gardens to the people's dress is period. The only thing that was out of character was a loud "Air Raid" siren that went off for about 5 minutes. I never found out what it was. I assume that the British were coming! I loved every minute of this visit and would gladly go again. If you ever happen to go, be sure to allow a full day or more to see all of it.

No comments: