
That's right, my family and I are off to Washington D.C. And since I'm bored, I thought I would do a pre-trip report. We're mostly going to visit my uncle, who actually lives in Alexandria, VA, right across the river. Washington is not exactly the Happiest Place on Earth, but it still is one of my favorite places to visit (behind Disney of course!). Here is a schedule of what my grandparents say were going to do (They WILL change there minds!):
Sunday- Leave Brookhaven and drive to Pigeon Forge, TN and go shopping
Monday- Drive to Ashville, NC
Tuesday - See the Biltmore Estate; I have never seen this so I am really looking forward to that.
Wednesday- Drive throught the Blue Ridge Parkway and stop in Williamsburg, VA
Thursday & Friday- See Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown (?) one day, then Busch Gardens Williamsburg the other; Again, I haven't seen these either. I was hoping that we might could go see Monticello, but we probably won't make that. But a theme park (although not Disney) will be nice.
Saturday - Thursday- Washington. Like I said, most of this will be spent at my uncle's house. I'm probably be working in his flowerbed (since he's elderly - Older than Scopa if you can believe it!). We are planning on going to the National Art Gallery and Washington National Cathedral.
We might even do the "Mall Walk". This is when you walk around the National Mall and see all of the Memorials and The White House (I'll say hey for ya, Mike!). This is a VERY long walk, so I think this will more than cover my training for a couple of days at least.
Friday- Leave Washington and go back to Pigeon Forge and go shopping again. Possibly Dollywood? (Redneck Disneyland, but still fun)
Saturday- Come home
So it looks like we'll be gone for 2 weeks, but I'll have my laptop with me. So on hotel days, I can still post updates. My uncle doesn't have internet, so DC days I won't be on.
One more thing... My uncle is a WONDERFUL cook and he serves gigantic portions and he expects (more like demands) everyone have more than one helping. He also cooks three GIGANTIC meals a day. To him, there is no such thing as full. Hopefully, things won't be to bad and I am going to try to be careful. And it's only for 4 days so maybe I won't do too much damage.
3 comments:
The walk from the mall to the white house isn't that far. Done it. In the winter too.
Have fun! You can always go to the library! Lol
It's not that far from the mall to the White House, but we usually start at the Smithsonian Metro station, then down to the Tidal Basin, then back up to the White House, hitting all the memorials along the way.
I was also, very out of shape when I did it a few years ago, so maybe it's not as bad as I remember.
If you can make it to the Viet Nam memorial, that's an amazing, powerful experience.
Re unk's food, hopefully he'll cook some veggies and you can fill up your plate with them.
Have fun with the grandparents, and get in some walking every day.
Post a Comment